1. When it comes to the increasing use of motor vehicles in Beijing, some people think that use should be limited. Others argue that the opposite is true. There is probably some truth to both arguments, but emission controls must be instituted regardless of the number of vehicles.
2. There is a general debate nowadays about the problem of itinerant workers. Those who object to the rising migrant population argue that increasing numbers lead to rising crime rates and harm social stability. They believe that strict limits should be placed on migrants entering China’s cities. But people who favor the influx of the cheap labor force, on the other hand, maintain that migrants are needed to support the massive urban infrastructure construction program.
3. It is widely acknowledged that extensive deforestation contributed to heavy summer flooding. Experts argue that China must introduce a massive afforestation program. But I doubt whether afforestation alone will solve the problem.
4. Most people are of the opinion that wealth provides solutions to all problems. But in spite of the material benefits wealth provides, I believe one should abandon the pursuit of materialism and instead concentrate on the pursuit of happiness.
5. Many people believe that capital punishment deters crime. But although criminologists have conducted exhaustive research regarding the subject, little evidence exists to support the claim.
6. An increasing number of people are joining the ‘Information Age’ via the Internet. In reaction to the phenomenon, some say the Internet has removed barrters and provided people with immediate access to the world. But do they raelize that rapidly advancing information technology can also lead to intrusions of privacy？
7. These days we often hear about the widening gap between the rich and poor. Some argue the developed world has totally ignored the problem. But has it？Close examination fails to bear out the argument.
8. We are often told that the world is tethering on the brink of destruction. But is this really the case？